Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Change is in the Wind...



I think some things on this blog are going to change. I'm not sure why I don't post here more often. This blog used to be just for posting some photography. Then I wanted to use it to give people "sneak peaks" into their sessions before the session was done being edited. Now I just post if I think I got a good picture of one of my kids. But, I think things are going to change. Here's why and how:

I get emails quite often asking my little questions about photography. It isn't that I'm some great photographer, only that people see a certain attribute of some picture I've taken and they want to know how I did this or that in or to the picture. I spend so much time on other photographer's sites wondering how they produce such incredible art and I always wish that either,

a. They would put some of the details about the picture in the post by the picture. I'm interested in how they edited, what lens they used...stuff like that.

or

b. They would let me ask questions. I'm sure most photographers are really nice, but I hate bugging people with emails asking a bunch of questions (even though I'm sure they wouldn't mind).

So, in that spirit, I'm going to make this blog a little more like the type of blog I want to see. The only problem is that I'm still learning all about photography myself, and constantly learn things that I think I should've already known, I may not be a great source for info. At the same time, most of the questions I receive are from young mothers who are starting their families and just bought a new camera or something and need a few tips on how to improve their own family photography.

It is for those people that this bog may help...a little, at least. I'll try to post a few tips and tricks that anyone can do to improve their family pictures. I'll also try to add some info about editing and stuff like that. I'll try not to use the word "stuff" very much. I'll also direct you to other blogs or sites that explain things way better than I do.

And then, as we go, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL QUESTIONS! What else do I have to do all day other than answer questions? I kinda like doing it, so go ahead, email away. If you want your question answered on the blog, I'll do it. If you want me to just send you an answer via email, I'll do that as well. But if that is the case, you need to leave your email address (duh, I guess) in your comment.

Ok, here goes....

4 comments:

alison said...

Bri- That is AWESOME! I am all over this idea of yours. I am a horrible photographer and I am needing this help. Although, I do not consider myself a "young" mother. Thanks a bunch!

your trackting buddy.

Kittyrunner said...

What a good idea. Maybe I'll think about getting a good camera some day and take advantage of your expertise!

Lisa said...

Hi!
I check in on your blog occasionally for new photo ideas and I would love some helpful tips!
Thanks!

April Greener said...

Brother Mickleson,

I found your blog through Crystal's-I love your photos! I was a former seminary student a few years ago.

I am just getting into photography..taking a class in July in fact, but I have a few questions now...if you have time:)

1)What is the best way to not capture 'red eye'? I have tried to change the lighting, take the flash off etc. Sometimes I get good results other times I don't.

2)Do you have any camera recomendations (on a $400 budget)

Thanks!

P.S. For the camera ?, I just want to do better photos of my family...clear close ups etc. I currently have a nice digital point and shoot (if that helps with the red eye ?)