Sunday, June 1, 2008

Q and A Session...

Don't get too excited about a Q/A session with me. I don't have that many answers at this point, but I think I can answer the questions that people have sent over the past few weeks. There aren't that many, but I think it would be easier and more beneficial to answer them here as opposed to one-by-one via email. So, heeeeeere we go:

Q#1: How long have you been doing photography?

A: I have loved photography since my mission. I've been studying (using this term quite loosely) for about 4 years. I got pretty serious when we purchased the Panasonic FZ20 a few years ago (mostly for birding). But I started really studying photography when my sweetheart told me I could purchase a dSLR when I "grew out" of the Panasonic. We bought a dSLR last June, and I have taken well over 10,000 shots since then (probably twice that). I started BJM Photography around Thanksgiving last year and have done a few paid shoots since then, but have spent most of my time practicing, practicing, practicing. I have no intention of doing anything close to full-time photography, but really enjoy the looks on families faces when they see a finished image of themselves.

Q#2: What does dSLR mean?

A: "Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera". You can read up on dSLR's at Wikipedia. The other option a person has with a digital camera is a Point-and-Shoot camera. You know what that is since you probably already have one. dSLRs used to be just for professionals or serious hobbiest, but things have changed since the prices of dSLRs has come way, way down. With dSLRs, you have much, much more control over the type of image you want. With a P&S, you basically make sure things are in focus and you fire away. Also, with dSLRs, you have the option of changing lenses to fit the circumstances. dSLRs do take better pictures, overall, bt you can take great, and I mean great, pictures with a P&S if you try hard enough!

Q#3: Which camera do you use?

A: Nikon's d80.



I absolutely, positively, completely love it. Love it! I bought mine online through B&H Photo. They are very, very highly recommended and have great customer support. Plus, their prices are pretty good.

The Nikon d80 has been wonderful. But I could have easily gone with a Canon (like the Rebel or something). My cousins have a wonderful photography studio and they recommended the Nikon line so that tipped the scales. Had I used a Canon film SLR I would have gone with Canon since I would have had the lenses already. So, Nikon is the way things went. I'm really very happy with it and will probably shoot Nikon forever.

Q#4: What about lenses?

A: Lenses are big deals. You'll spend way more on lenses (eventually) than on the camera body. I have the 18-135mm kit lens that came with the camera. It is nice, but I don't use it all too often. I use the 50mm 1.8f prime lens I purchased through Amazon. Zooming lenses are great and quite versatile. But I think I am liking prime lenses a little more. Primes lenses DO NOT zoom. At all. You have to get up and move and walk around and find the best angle and distance. So it is more work to use a prime lens, but I think it teaches you to see pictures better. Plus, prime lenses tend to be sharper. I love my 50mm 1.8f lens

and I don't know too many people who don't love their 50mm lens. Plus they only cost about $90-120!!! The sweetest deal!

Q#5: I keep getting people with red eyes in my pictures! What do I do?

A: Red eye happens when the flash from your camera bounces off of the retinas of the your subject. So. simply put, don't use the flash. I don't. Ever. Well, I have, but I don't, if that means anything. If I'm in a situation that needs a flash, I don't take the picture (unless I absolutely have to, which isn't often). I don't like flash, but I'm not really good at it, so...

Here is a website that will help with red eye stuff. From this guy, I learned that shooting pictures of drunk people increases your chances of getting red eye because their pupils are already dilated. There you have it....

Q#6: How do I take pictures in my house that aren't so yellow?

A: I think this one will depend a little on your camera and a little on the lighting that you're using. It usually boils down to the White Balance setting your camera. STOP! Don't get all worried that this is a big deal. It isn't. Many camera have white balance settings and you just need to check what your is set on before you shoot a picture. Yes, it is an extra step, but it makes a huge difference. If you are in the shade, set the WB setting to "Shade". If you are just outside on a cloudy day, set the WB to "cloudy". Check your camera's manual if you don't know where to find these settings. It really isn't complicated and once you remember to check the settings, it'll be no problem, but will make a really big difference.

Q#7 What program do you use for editing the pictures you take?

A: Photoshop CS2.

I used to use Elements and I actually still do for a few things every once in a while. But I am loving CS2. It has taken some work to figure out how to use it, but the web has helped a lot. I love trying to figure out how to do certain things. With that all said, and despite what some of my images look like, I like picture that look natural, as if no one did any editing.

Q#8: Black and White, or Color?

A: Black and White....hands down. For me, there is nothing like a powerfully composed BW image. I can't explain it. Cheryl Jacobs is a wonderful B/W film photographer. I have yet to get BW photography figured out, but every once in awhile I get a beautiful image.



Q#9: Did you take a class?

A: I'm sure you're just being sarcastic (which I appreciate), but no, I haven't. I should. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours studying other photographers. I check their blogs almost every day and learn so much from their work. I just wish more of them did Q/A sessions...I have emailed some of them (nervously, for some reason) and they have been very kind in sending me a few key tips and tricks. Much appreciated.

Keep the Q's coming and I'll do another session at some point. If you need a question answered, please include your email address. You can email me directly if you like!

3 comments:

Elise said...

I really enjoy all the tutorials on your blog. I tried out the textures and loved them, I still need to try out the color matching. I was wondering what format you shoot in, RAW or JPeg, and why you choose that one. My email address is shopgirl28_82@hotmail.com if you just want to email me the answer or if you want to answer it on your blog that's fine too. I have tried both and haven't decided which one I prefer and just wondered which one you prefer. Again, thanks for all your insights on things. I really enjoy reading your blog.

Jen Crook said...

Photoshop Elements 3.0? You should really upgrade to 6.0, especially if you have a mac. It is phenomenal and has so many more options that older versions just didn't have. A friend of mine, a professional photographer, uses Lightroom but has been shocked at the capabilities of 6.0. And who doesn't love the $80 price tag? Just a suggestion to try out.

Wright Family said...

I do photography too.. I use a Nikon D300 its so nice. I also have the d50. But i use iphoto to edit my pictures i have the photoshop for apple. I just haven't had time to learn it yet. But you do an amazing job.
Check out my website.. I love the company i went threw to do it.

www.ashleywrightphotography.com