Monday, February 9, 2009

The How-To of Ashley's GAP ad...

So I was a little bored this afternoon and decided to catch a little image of Ashley that ended up turning out so well. But I wanted to show you a few things...just FYI:

First off, here is the first shot I took this afternoon. Notice how dark Ashley is compared to the background. That is because the camera is trying not to "blow out" any of the picture. Since the background is so bright, the camera compensates by making most of the picture darker. So Ashley ends up being darker and harder to see. Here it is:



It isn't too bad, and I could use Photoshop to brighten things up if I needed to. But instead I took a second shot. I focused on Ashley's face and then over-exposed by two stops. The camera would still overcompensate, thus blasting out the highlights behind her and bringing her into good exposure. Here is that image (with a little sharpening and cropping):


Then I placed the image on a white image of the same size (in photoshop) and erased everything that wasn't Ashley. I should have taken a little longer and been more careful, but I was just messing around. Anyway, here it is (with some text added, obviously):

6 comments:

Marble Quarry said...

I am so gullable! I seriously thought she was in a GAP add! The picture is amazing, I wish I could figure out Photoshop. I got it for Christmas and can't figure a dang thing out on it! How's the new baby?

Julie said...

That is amazing. I hope that someday I will learn how to do stuff like that! They don't come much cuter than Ashley!

Shelli Roholt said...

oh wow how gullible am i haha!! But it is seriously a great pic you do such a good job, i really need to figure photshop out!!!

MIL said...

Ashley could absolutely be a Gap gal! This technology is amazing and you can put each of the kids into an ad and we'll have a family pic. Will could be so cute as a little Gap guy. See what you've started..... :>) lv grammy mick

Jaci said...

This is great information. Wish I would have read it before I went to the snowy lands of Jackson Hole.
She is adorable! I love the ballet photo shoot too. I bet that is a memory she will always cherish with her dad.
Do you shoot in manual most of the time? I am just starting to get brave enough to try it. Any tips on getting super crisp photos? I feel like they are often blurry.
Also, I really want to get good at depth of field (blurry background and clear subject). If you have any advice for me on mastering this technique, I'd be very happy!
I think I fake most of my photos. Guess work can turn out good sometimes though. ;)

Anonymous said...

You've got such a beautiful little girl there! Add to that your great talent and the results are amazing. It's the most beautiful ad I've ever seen. Congratulations!